I would personally like to thank you for your tremendous response to this years appeal.
Despite the great economic and logistical challenges to many medical practices, you have managed to contribute over $80,000 for distribution to our partners in the field to shore up medical services in Africa.
That brings us to a remarkable milestone – namely nearly 3/4 of a MILLION DOLLARS raised since inception of the foundation.
There is of course still work to do. It seems we are just at the beginning of the Covid outbreak in Africa.
- From 17/6-24/6 the number of cases in Africa increased by 28% and death rate by 25%.
- South Africa alone has 100,000 cases.
- Nigeria has 20,000 cases of which 5% are health workers.
- Sierra Leone and Guinea Bissau have health workers accounting for more than 10% of their cases.
- There is almost certainly massive under reporting of both cases and deaths.
The pandemic has overwhelmed fragile health systems disrupting programs for treating HIV, TB and Malaria. The WHO projects that deaths from these diseases could double. Treatment interruptions also raise the threat of drug resistance – already a formidable problem and a factor that might potentially affect all of us.
If you have not as yet made your (tax- deductible) contribution but wish to do so this financial year, there is still time!
Regards to all
On behalf of the Directors of the Twice the Doctor Foundation